Organization Part II

Last week I was kind of losing my mind over organization in my classroom. I had a system that worked well last year, but I just couldn't seem to get it going this year. So last Friday, when I posted, I spent the day grading and getting all caught up on that. Then I went in on Saturday for a couple of hours and spent the time just organizing. I took a serious look at what I needed/wanted near me and when I needed it. I then looked at what I had to work with and came up with a system that I think will work - at least it worked this week. Here's what I got:
As you walk in the door, there is a table to the right where the handouts are put. I started this at the beginning of the year and it generally works out well, not perfect, but well. Also over there, on top of an old desk, is a crate with files for things the students need almost continously. I keep extra periodic tables there as well as bellwork sheets for my 9th grade class.






Then there is my front table. On the right I have a moveable table that has racks for each day. There I keep the things I will need for each period along with the notebooks, etc.

To the left is a filing cabinet and a small bookshelf. On the filing cabinet I have a 6-drawer plastic tray that has a draw for each class I teach. There are also plastic turn-in trays for each class. I put them on the front of the counter at the beginning of class filled with graded work to return. Work gets returned and new work gets turned in. In the bookcase I have some extra books for reference and on the top shelf I have the books I currently use. On top of the bookcase is a crate with files for various things. I have a file for every class, every day.  The theory is that I will copy all handouts needed for that day/class and put them in the folders on the weekend. Then in the morning, I will transfer the handouts to the trays on  the other side. So they are available for each class. This has not been working out as well as I had envisioned but I think that is due to the fact that I can't get ahead in my planning.
On the far side of the room, is a large file cabinet that I hardly use - I would much rather have a bookcase there. On top of the file cabinet are binders for each class. I spent time last week just putting things in each class binder in no particular order with the idea of putting the things into sections. But as I sit here now thinking about it, I may put my daily dividers in and just put them in by days. I heard that suggestion somewhere and liked it, but couldn't see how to make it work. Now, with the set up I have, I can see it working.



So it is coming along. I think that once I get through all this, I will have a good, solid system that works for me. It's slow to develop, but the only real way to test it is in action  - that's when I discover what does and does not work. I also need to develop a daily/weekly checklist so that I make sure I keep on top of these things.

Okay, time to head off to the dog park and then to school for a little while to get some things done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....