Electronic file mess

I know, 2 posts in one day. Well, since the last post I've been working on school stuff and I've gotten to point where I can't move forward until I figure some things out. So I thought I would take some time, write it out (which always helps me think) and figure out the best way to do this.

I have tons of electronic storage. I have Google drive - personal and school. I have Dropbox - which I recently cleaned out with the idea of using it for school. Evernote - which I recently cleaned out with the idea of using it for school. OneNote - which I don't really use. As you can see, I have a plethora of places to store files. And I store files in all of those places. So when I want a file, I can spend hours searching for where I stored it. That is always so much fun. So I'm trying to come up with a way to store the files that I want that won't drive me completely batsh*t crazy.

Now the super simple answer would be the school Google Drive. I have unlimited storage because I am a school and it's the easiest to access from my school computer. The problem and I'm beginning to think it's not much of a problem, is that if I ever leave, I have to make sure to transfer all that stuff. The reason I don't think it's much of a problem is that I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, and I will have plenty of time to get everything I want. So I may be making a mountain out of a molehill with this.

I had thought of using Evernote again because it is very robust and completely searchable with few limitations. What I don't like is that you really can't put things in a file per se. You create notes and then organize the notes by topics and you can put notes in notebooks and notebooks in stacks and it gets a little confusing. However, you can tag everything and search for tags which makes it easier to find things. Also, I can use Evernote for everything, personal and school, and have all my information in one place.

Dropbox is probably one of my favorites but space is limited in with this.

With both Dropbox and Evernote, I have to open a tab and download onto my computer to use anything. With Google drive and I can generally use things right from there. That reduces the number of files I have to download onto my computer before using them. Also, I will frequently download something 2 or 3 times and that takes up a lot of storage space plus makes searching for things I downloaded hard.

So I stepped away (figuratively) and started working on my school Google Drive. I did not have as much info in there as I thought and I just went through it all. I dumped a bunch of stuff that I didn't use or don't know what it's from anymore. I am going to set up my units and then add the things I have to the units and go from there. I will be using the Google Drive. I think I will keep things that I like but don't use in Evernote and Dropbox. Okay, I have a plan, we shall see how it works out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....