I can, but I didn't.....

From my last post:



So, to recap, goals in order:
  1. Finish the license within the next 2 weeks
  1. Review the AP CED and new chemistry standards
  1. Get curriculum for all 3 courses set before school starts. 
I can do this. 

But I didn't. I ended up doing other things and none of this got done. Not the end of the world, but disappointing. 

Since my last post, I have packed up 80% of the house, gotten the house listed for sale, looked at a number of houses for sale, took a 3 week chemistry modeling course, got sick as a dog and thought I was going to die, and somehow screwed up my knee last night. 

So it's not like I've been sitting on my ass, I've been busy, just not planning. 

The good news is that the chemistry modeling class I took was amazing. I learned a lot about chemistry and I have a whole new way to teach it. They also provide a full curriculum to follow so chemistry is set for next year. 

The College Board has just sent my CED binders. This means that the week I have off between my 2nd class and when school starts will be devoted to planning AP.  I would like to work on that a little now, but I still get overwhelmed. I need to sit and just read through the CED and determine what needs to be taught and what does not. It's kind of overwhelming all the information out there. But I also need to have a solid plan in place so that I don't run off half-cocked like in previous years. 

So there is all that, but the real reason I'm here is to determine what my goals will be this year. Last year my goals were organization and timeliness. And while I have not mastered those, I want some new goals for the new school year. So a little free writing to try and figure out my goals. 

I want to stay on top of things this year. I don't want to end up being snowed under by anything. I will be the new department chair and I want to not be like the previous ones. I want to stay on top of things, get things done, and be proactive, not reactive. So what is a good word for that? Proactive? Is that organization? Is that timeliness? 

Some synonyms for proactive: 
  • energetic
  • take-charge
  • enthusiastic
  • active
  • dedicated
Synonyms for organized: 
  • systematic
  • ordered
  • structured
Synonyms for timeliness: 
  • promptness

What other words can I use? I want to be involved. I want to be positive. Maybe instead of one or two words, I should use a bunch of words. Maybe make a word wall of all the words that I want to be this year. I may do that instead.

I'm having a really hard time getting started on the planning. I have some ideas but am having a hard time putting them into motion. I keep thinking that I need to just sit down and do it, but then I end up playing games for 2 hours. Not like I've done that. I need to set up a guide for the AP chemistry. Haven't done it. I need to write syllabi for all 3 classes. Haven't done it. I need to get my butt in gear. Time to quit screwing around. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....