Week 3 reflection

 This year I did something very, very different. I decided exactly the kinds of things I wanted in my classroom and I set things up so that I got those things. For example, nothing makes me crazier than to be in the middle of a lecture and someone ask to go to the bathroom. So I had a poster made that is a flowchart of when they can and cannot ask. It is working out great. I have decided to do my notebooks a certain way and I am sticking to that. I have had a couple of students fill in the wrong pages and I have made them change it. This will be done my way or not at all. So I basically got pretty firm in what I will and will not accept and there is no gray area, it's pretty black and white. The reason that is important is because it plays into not only the planning but the lack of cognitive dissonance. By planning things out I know exactly what I want to accomplish and how to get there. That takes a huge burden off me because it is all laid out. Also, by knowing exactly what I will and will not accept it breaks that cognitive dissonance that I get but letting them get away with things. Life has been good for me. 

Now, to this week. 

Chemistry Mon/Tues: 

 First we reviewed Prince Charming thinks like a scientist from last week. We then had a mini lesson on graphing in science. We reviewed 5 types of graphs, what kind of data they were best for and how to make them. Then they did a practice worksheet on graphing. 

Wed/Thurs:  

We finally started unit 1. First up was setting up the unit in our notebook. Then we looked at the anchor phenomenon - blowing up a Pringle's can. Then it was prepping for the lab. I just have to say that taking some time and thinking about the best way to organize a page is really paying off. I put the page on the board and they copy it. Makes things so much easier. Also, the data is collected in a neat and organized manner that will allow them to look back on it and understand what they did. So we set up the lab and then we had to review how to do the part of the lab we were doing. Since my first period had a fire drill, the other periods ended up with about 10 minutes of extra time, so we watched a Mark Rober video. 

Overall it was a good week in chemistry. Next week we will be continuing the lab and then learning how to discuss and dissect the data. 

AP Chemistry: 

Tuesday we went over everyone's favorite, nomenclature. It was a good review as they had forgotten a lot of it. 

Thursday we did our first lab. They did the gravimetric analysis lab. They got the lab done and we will work on the questions in class on Tuesday. 

A good week. It is weird teaching 6 chemistry classes. Generally by the 5th or 6th one I am so bored with the material but it's not hard at all. 

Fridays I've been going in to update my grading, do any prep that is needed, and generally get the things done I don't have time for during the week. That is working out really well. 

Okay, I am being called to run to Costco so I am off. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....