Time to rest


I've been on winter break since last Thursday and it has been amazing. I've slept. Read a little. Relaxed. Hung out with friends. Went shopping. And generally just enjoyed myself. Definitely, something that was needed. But tomorrow is Wednesday already and I need to start working on next semester. So here's my problem. I feel like I don't know how to plan. Weird, I know, but true. I was just sitting here thinking I should start thinking about planning and my thoughts went into 100 different directions. In my head I'm saying:

  • I don't remember where we left off
  • I don't know what to cover next
  • I don't know what I should cover at all
  • How can I add literacy to my curriculum
  • How do I do this? 
Well, it's kind of not surprising. I've been flying by the seat of my pants for my entire 9 years of teaching and now, trying to get everything in order, is proving to be difficult. I'm changing the way I do things and I'm trying to do it right. So it's like I'm learning a new skill and creating something as I go. So I'll give myself some slack for that, but it is still difficult. 

Having said all that, I think I'm going to take a slightly different approach this semester. I think I'm going to start unpacking the standards and work around them. I've heard of this before, it's not a new concept, but it's something I've never done. I'm going to try and get a handle on each class until spring break, that should give me a good start on the semester and allow me some time to finish up the rest of the semester. But, I also know myself and I need to set time aside to do that. I need to sit and focus on what I want to do in order to make sure it actually gets done.  I think starting tomorrow, I will begin to work on AP Biology. I can't take too long on each class - I have 3 to do - but I need to have a framework on which to hand what I am teaching them. I guess I am learning a new skill along with my students. Okay, time to plan out my planning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....