Routines


I need to establish some new routines. I currently have routines, but I don't like them and need to change them. I also need an organization system that allows me to keep track of things. I think I've talked before about my horrible habit of losing papers and not being able to find things I need. It drives me freaking insane.

Let's start with the organization because I think good organization will lead to good routines. So let's begin. I have this:
It's a 12 slot organizer. I started using it as a place to put papers for my classes for both days (4 each day) and the remaining 4 slots I put in papers I needed for those classes. Initially, this worked great. I would place the papers I needed for each class in each slot and then when that class came around I would just grab them and go. Boom. But things began to go wrong. I would put papers in the wrong slot - annoying. I would fail to transfer papers to the next class. So I would have a chemistry class, then put the papers back in that class and not in the next chemistry class. Then I would spend 10 minutes trying to find something. Ugh!!! So annoying. Also, the slots designed for my papers get way, way too full. I have notes and tests and all kinds of stuff that I stick in there. Then again, when I need something it takes me 10 minutes to find it. So while I like this system, I need to find a better way to execute it.

I also have this:
And I'm not sure the best way to add it to the mix. I was thinking of using it as a holder for work already done. So I would have a column for each class and then within that column have a tray for each week. So the first column would be AP Chemistry. The top tray would be week 1, the second tray week 2, etc. Then I clear it out when the unit is over or when I run out of weeks, whichever comes first. I could use it on a monthly basis; 1st week of the month, 2nd week of the month, etc; that might work. Then at the end of the month, I clean them out and start a new month. Or, could I use this for future work? No, I don't like that so cancel that thought. What if I used it for the weeks of the month and inside put folders for the 1st day and 2nd day? I see each class twice a week so this might work, or am I just creating more work for myself? I so use one column for storing copies of things we use all the time; periodic tables, polyatomic ion list, answer sheet for tests, etc.

The other option for this large one is to have a slot for each class. So 1A, 2A, 1B, etc will each have its own slot. I can keep a folder in there for work students may have missed and I can also put graded work in there for returning. I can then assign a student in each class to return that work. OMG!!! I may have struck gold here.

Okay, a routine is taking shape in my head, here goes. On Fridays, I copy all the sheets for next week. I then place them, by class, in the small sorter near my desk. And by class, I mean that each slot will get enough for the number of students in that class. That way I do not have to remember to move them. If I have lots of copies for that day, I will have to clip them together so the bundles are separate and I don't have to sort them out during class. Then, after I hand them out, I will place them into the folder in the large sorter. This way they are out of the small sorter, so I don't get all messed up, and if I need more I know exactly where they are. Also, after grading and recording grades, I can just place the work in there to be returned. This way I don't have it cluttering up my area and I can automate the system by having a student responsible for returning the work. Oh, I think I like this. Then, at the end of the month, I can clean out the folder and file away what needs to be filed away.

I am loving this. Now, how do I collect papers? I think I will still do that in my class trays. Put the tray out in each class, collect work, put work in the draw for grading. Grade, record, put in the cubby.

Next step, grading, and recording. I need to get better at this. If I am as organized as I plan, I should have time to grade during my preps. I need to be more on top of things and I need to utilize my TAs for grading. I'm thinking of making my grading sheets again. This is a 1/3 of a regular paper that has all the students in that class listed. When they turn in homework, I can attach a grading sheet and, if I do it early enough, check off who turned in homework and ask those who didn't why. Then I can have my students grade and mark the grades on the grading sheets and it is super easy to input because they are in the order of the grade book. I think I'll try that again.

Okay, I've got a lot of things here that I need to work on. I will stop for the moment. I have an idea of how the paper flow will go and from that routines can be developed. I like this a whole lot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....