Analysis and decision time

 I just spent the morning (the last 3 hours) analyzing all my curriculum options. I listed out the units for each option, what was covered, and the time it would take. I then totaled it all up to see how many days this would take and then compared it to my school year. The results were as follows: 


Chemistry:                                                 Biology: 

Modeling:  80 Classes                                Illinois Storylines:      66 Classes

iHub:         54 Classes                                iHub:                             59 Classes

Patterns:     62 Classes                                Patterns:                         74 Classes

                                                                    Model Based:                 87 Classes


Considering I have 68 teaching days in my school year most of these exceed that. 

For chemistry, with modeling I have never been able to finish all the units, so that is just an estimate. Also, after 3 years I've decided I'm really not a fan. So that one is pretty much out. Patterns is below 68, but the units kind of trail off. Unit 8 has never been finished. Unit 7 is a little sketchy. So I'm thinking for chemistry, Patterns is out also. Since there is only one other option, I guess I will be going with iHub for chemistry. 

For biology, I didn't even consider the modeling biology because the one time I attempted to use it, I did not like it at all. So Patterns and Model Based are both well over my number of available classes, so I am going to eliminate them right off the bat. Illinois Storylines are below the 68 but they are really close. Also, I tried the Africa one and it went on forever. So I'm thinking that one won't work for me. Which leaves iHub for biology also. 

So it looks like iHub it is. 

Now, I've made a well thought out and researched decision and I am going to stick with it. I'm going to plan out the year based on these numbers and see what I have. One thing I like about the iHub is that it allows for catchup days. Those don't happen often, but they do happen. Also, I have some flex if I'm running a little behind. Okay, so iHub it is, now to dig in an plan. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

And we're back.....

1st day done