It happened again

 I let that 4th period get to me. I can't do that. I can't. I'm the adult in the room but I sure don't feel like it. So as I was meditating today I came to a realization. What I'm doing is not working with them, therefore I have to change what I'm doing. So I'm going to have to run this class different then I run the other two biology classes. I just have to. There is no way around it. So, at the end of the day today I'm switching the desks into rows again - that's just for this class. Then I'm creating new seating charts for all classes and they will be so that when they turn around they will be in their groups. I can do that. Starting on the Monday after Thanksgiving, I'm going to be spoon feeding them information rather than letting them figure it out. So I will be telling them how to do the lab. I will give them cookbook information rather then giving them the freedom to figure things out. I will have set ways they need to keep things in their notebook, lots of notes. I'm also going to institute bellwork and exit tickets for every class. What a nightmare that will be, but these guys need it. The bellwork and exit tickets will be their citizenship grade. Genius. Don't do it - zero. Absent - exempt. Yes, genius. Lots of notes. Labs will be cookbook. Not much group work. I can do it for this class. Just dumb everything down because they really are more like junior high than high school. It will take a little work on my part, but I think I can pull it off. Create a power point of ongoing notes that I just keep adding to. I am confident I can do it. I will give them all the same stuff, I'll just spoon feed them the information since they can't be trusted to do anything on their own. No more fun stuff at all. I will work harder in this class than any other but I think it will save my sanity in the end. So over the weekend I need to put together some stuff for them. Thankfully we only have each class one time next week and then a 5 day weekend, so I have time to get things ready for the last few weeks of school. I'm not the super strict kind of teacher but for this class I guess I'm going to have to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

1st day done

And we're back.....